Sir Edmund ANDERSON, Knight
Born: 1540, Flixborough / Broughton, Lincolnshire, England
Died: 1 Aug 1605
Buried: All Saints Church, Eyeworth, Bedfordshire, England
Father: Edward ANDERSON
Married: Magdalen SMYTHE ABT 1566, Eyworth, Bedford, England
1. Catherine ANDERSON (b. ABT 1568 - bur. 26 Feb 1638/39) (m. William Booth)
2. Margaret ANDERSON (b. ABT 1570 - d. 3 Aug 1630) (m.1 Thomas Monson - m.2 Adam Felton)
3. Griseld ANDERSON (m. John Sheffield of Mulgrave)
4. Elizabeth ANDERSON (m. Sir Hatton Fermor of Easton Neston)
5. Edward ANDERSON
6. Francis Anderson of Eyworth (Sir) (d. 22 Dec 1616) (m.1 Judith Soame - m.2 Audrey Butler)
7. William ANDERSON of Lea (m. Joan Essex)
An English jurist, Lord Chief Justice of the Common Pleas 1582-1605. He was a bitter opponent of the Puritans.
In the south wall of the chancel of the church of All Saints there is a richly ornamented monument, to Sir Edmund Anderson kt. Chief Justice of the Common Pleas (ob. 1 Aug 1605) and Magdalen Smythe, his wife, consisting of a fine altar tomb-of marble upon which are two recumbent effigies, one representing Sir Edmund in his judicial robes with collar of SS. and the other his wife in the nearest dress of the period: the canopy is semi-circular, the projecting portion being upheld by two pillars 7ft. in height: the whole is surmounted by the armorial bearings of the family: there are also two other monuments of lesser dimensions tp members of this family. Anderson's wife sisters married Sir John Fortescue and George Rotheram, knight for Bedfordshire in five Parliaments.
|to Bios Page|