Sir Edward DENNY, Knight

Born: 1544, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire, England

Died: 11 Feb 1599/1600

Buried: 14 Feb 1599/1600, Waltham Abbey, Essex, England

Father: Anthony DENNY (Sir Knight)


Married: Margaret EDGECUMBE (b. 1560 - d. 24 Apr 1648) (dau. of Sir Piers Edgecumbe of Mount Edgecombe and Margaret Luttrell)


1. Arthur DENNY of Tralee Castle (Sir Knight)

2. Francis DENNY (b. 1584 - d. 1667)

3. Elizabeth DENNY

4. Thomas DENNY

5. Anthony DENNY

6. Honora DENNY

7. Henry DENNY

8. Anne DENNY

9. Charles DENNY

11. Mary DENNY

Denny,Edward01.jpg (25938 bytes)

It is possible that Sir Anthony named his son after his royal ward, Edward VI. Both parents died while Edward was still a child and he was left, apparently, in the guardianship of his mother's executor, John Tamworth. Sir Anthony made sure his son would be well looked after by leaving him certain lands in Hertfordshire.

Edward Denny's first public appointment seems to have been as 'Receiver General of the counties of Southampton, Wilts, and Gloucester', but early in 1573 he was directed by Elizabeth I to go to Northern Ireland on an expedition formed by Walter Devereux, Earl of Essex to 'reduce' the turbulent district of Clannaboy, in Ulster, and install English settlers. The Earl's mission was constantly delayed and Denny, having sold his stock and part of his revenue to raise the £400 needed to 'furnish' himself for the trip, drew heavily on that amount while waiting in London to depart for Ireland. The ill-fated expedition finally set off in the summer of 1574, but for various reasons it turned out to be a complete failure.

Denny then appears to have done some 'privateering' on his own account, first by capturing a Spanish ship in 1577, and in 1578 taking a Flemish ship, the 'Tennen', off of Portland. That same year he joined a colonising venture to America under the leadership of Sir Humphrey Gilbert and his step-brother Walter Raleigh, both of whom were sons of his mother's sister Catherine and, consequently, his first cousins. But this expedition of discovery, initiated by Gilbert and sanctioned by Elizabeth, was also a failure. One ship turned for home through lack of supplies after just two days, and two months later the remaining ships headed back to Plymouth after being severly hampered by storms, mutinees, sickness, and the deaths of many crew members.

In Jul 1580, both Denny and his cousin, Walter Raleigh, were put in charge of two hundred soldiers and sent to Ireland to put down the rebellion of the Earl of Desmond. Their fee was £100 each, but in Sep that year Denny was already expressing his dissatisfaction with the task. In a letter to his cousin, Sir Francis Walsingham, he wrote:

'I find alreadie my Ireland journey will rather decaie me quite, than amend me anything, and for this kind of service it is so graceless, so devoid of reputation – in respect of the service never seen; but it happens still in boggs, glinnes and woods, as in my opinion it might better fit mastives than brave gentlemen that desier to win honour'

Denny went on to say in his letter that he would only stay on in Ireland because of the love he bore towards Lord Grey. At that time Arthur, Lord Grey de Wilton was the newly appointed Lord Deputy of Ireland – a close friend of Denny and connected to him by marriage.

In Nov that year he was finally able to account for himself at Smerwick Bay when he assisted Lord Grey in the siege of Fort del Ore, held by a large body of Italian and Spanish mercenaries who were assisting the Irish rebellion. Denny and his company fought off four counter-attacks by the besieged mercenaries and eventually took their unconditional surrender.

For this action he was highly commended by Lord Grey and given the honour of delivering his dispatch announcing the capture of the fort to the Queen. In the Autumn of 1581 Denny was put in command of another expedition to Ireland, this time to quash the rebellious O'Tooles who held the mountains near Dublin. His success was such that he returned to England later that year with the head of their chieftain, Garret O'Toole, and the following Jan received formal thanks for his services from the Queen and Council.

Denny then seems to have been frequently employed by the Queen as her private messenger, and it was at court, in 1582, that he met Margaret Edgecumbe. She came from the ancient family of Edgecumbes of Mount Edgecumbe in Cornwall, daughter of Piers Edgecumbe MP, and Margaret Luttrell, whose own mother was a descendant of Edward I, and second cousin to both Catherine Howard and Anne Boleyn. At the age of 18 Margaret became a Maid of Honour to the Queen and within five years was one her majesty’s favourites.

Her acquaintance at court with Edward Denny led to marriage in 1583, or early the following year, and as a wedding present the Queen obtained from Richard, Bishop of London, a 21-year lease on Rectory Manor House to be assigned to Sir Edward.

Edgecumbe,Margaret01.JPG (27299 bytes)

Margaret Edgecumbe

In 1584, Denny made a bid for a seat in parliament as a knight of the shire but was defeated in the election. Afterwards he reverted to his interests in Hertfordshire, but in 1587 was granted possession of the castle at Tralee in southern Ireland, along with its six thousand acres of rich land, at a charge of £100 per annum payable to the Crown. This was part of Queen Elizabeth's plan to improve England’s control of Ireland, and thousands of acres of land in Munster belonging to the Earl of Desmond were confiscated (including the castle of Tralee which had been the Desmonds chief seat for nearly 400 years). Also Sir Walter Raleigh (he was knighted in 1585) and otthers received land.

In 1588 Denny's previous service in Ireland was rewarded when Sir William Fitzwilliam, the Lord Deputy of Ireland, dubbed him Knight Banneret of Bishop’s Stortford. In that year the Spanish Armada was beaten off and any remaining ships chased into the North Sea where they continued to sail around the coast of Scotland in a desperate attempt to get back to Spain. A violent storm near Tralee caused that most of the ships were wrecked and Edward’s wife, Margaret, ably assisted in capturing many Spaniards.

Sir Edward, by this time High Sheriff of County Kerry, had been in Dublin at the time of the incident but a neighbouring Englishmen, Sir William Herbert, accused him of seizing for himself the treasure of the Duke of Medina Sidonia, cast up by the wreck of the Spanish High Admiral’s flag-ship near Tralee. To allay the situation Sir Richard Bingham, Governor of the Province of Connaught, offered to resign his office in favour of Denny taking his position. An agreement between them was struck and the details later confirmed before Lord Deputy Fitzwilliam.

Denny then returned to England to gain consent for the unopposed position of Governor but never took up the post and was soon back serving in Northern Ireland. From there he returned to Kerry and shortly after sailed for England with his wife and young family aboard a ship captained by George Clifford, Earl of Cumberland, who had put in at Dingle to take on water and provisions on his return from the Azores.

In 1591, at the Queen’s command, Sir Edward was employed on naval service as commander of relief ships sent to Admiral Lord Thomas Howard, at that time in the Azores looking for Spanish treasure ships.

But by now the Munster plantation in Ireland had proved a failure, and on his return to dry land Sir Edward found his property at Tralee had become an unprofitable burden on his resources. His debt in non-payment of rent to the Exchequer was substantial, but with friends in ‘high places’ the debt was waived in 1592.

A further bid for parliament in 1593 resulted in yet another defeat, this time by a protégée of Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester. Despite this, his ambition was finally realised in 1595 when he became MP for a Cornish borough – coincidently the same county from which both his mother and wife had originated. It would seem, though, that his finances were not all they should have been at this time and that Elizabeth probably gave him a helping hand. Records of 1595 show that the deceased Bishop of London made, 'by her majesty's appointment', a 'gratification' of £500 out of Starford [sic] to Sir Edward Denny, and on 17 Oct that same year an assignment was made to him of the Manor of Stortford to take effect on 5 Nov 1614. Such a 'gift' would certainly have made him financially secure in old age.

Denny,Edward_tomb.jpg (273242 bytes)

But in 1598 Edward’s Irish estate was lost to the rebellious Hugh O'Neill, Earl of Tyrone, and on 12 Feb 1599 he died, aged 52, from what was said to be a sickness acquired while 'in his countrie's service's' [sic]. His body was laid to rest at Waltham Abbey church in Essex – near to his birthplace – and Margaret had a stately monument erected within the church to his memory.

Due to events between the year they were married and his death in Feb 1599, it’s possible the Dennys never actually lived in Rectory manor house as a couple. Margaret Denny isn’t recorded as taking up residence until 1600 – the year administration of the property was granted to her – but she did continued to live there for the next 48 years.

In 1614 her brother’s son, Thomas Edgecumbe, died in Rectory manor house, and in 1642 she gave shelter to her grandson’s widow (Lady Ruth Denny) and her seven children after they fled the Rebellion in Ireland.

That same year saw the start of the English Civil War (1642–1646) and soon after the first major conflict at Edgehill, King Charles I came to Bishop’s Stortford to visit Margaret Denny at this house. In recognition of her loyalty and that of her family, he gave her a charter of protection, signed and dated 19 Dec 1642, which read:

'Our will and pleasure is, and we do hereby signifi, charge and commande all our Colonels, Lieutenant-Colonels and Captains, and all their officers and souldiers of our army whatever, that they shall not do, or suffer to be done any act of force or violence, or offer any interruption or disturbance whatever to the Lady Denny, her Family, goods, or Manor House, being Stortford Manor House or parsonage, in the parish of Stortford, in our county of Hertford. Herein fail you not, as you would incur our heartiest displeasure, and will every one of you answer at your uttermost peril'

Margaret died on 24 Apr 1648, aged 88. After the expense of taking in and caring for her grandson’s widow and seven children in 1642, she abandoned her original wish to be buried alongside her husband at Waltham Abbey and requested in her will that ‘cost be spared and my body be buried in Stortford Chauncell’.

The above text is taken, in part, from 'Biography of Sir Edward Denny' compiled for the 'Hertfordshire Directory of Biography' by Rev H.L.L. Denny BA, 1905.

to Bios Page

to Family Page

to Peerage Page to Home Page